[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminids

Olathe, KS

I got home slept for  few hours and then got up to watch the Geminids  from
3:00-4:30. Completely clear . I put a blanket in the sleeping bag and things
were cozier. I should have thought of that for the Leonids when I was
freezing most of the time.

It was a very nice show as I saw 23 meteors. Most were Geminids and very
bright (0 to -2 magnitude) white, yellow or blue and very slow .5 to .75 a
second, with few train/trails. No sky splitters (super bright ones).
Saw 21 of them from 3am- 4am and then it decreased rapidly as I only saw 3
until I quit. I did not think the Geminids peaked that sharply. I was
disappointed more did not appear after 4.

It was worth a look.

Dr.Eric Flescher (kcstarguy@aol.com)
member, Astronomical Society of Kansas City (ASKC)- Solar System Ambassador
2002- JPL-(Jet Propulsion Lab)