[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Southern cold

One of my coldest memories was watching the '66 Leonids (the night before
the storm) on the hood of a car for three hours and a half hours. I was
in the Rio Grande Valley-about as far south as you can get in the U.S.
The temp was 42 deg. F , the relative humidity was 95% (we fogged out at
5 AM) and the elevation was less than 100 feet above sea level. The
humidity and elevation made for a 'cold soak'  bordering on hypothermia.
If I had to guess, I would equate it to 5 or 10 above in Denver.

Anyway, being now older and smarter (seemingly) I laid out about $130 for
some serious gear that makes me look like the Pillsbury Dough Boy in
black.  It includes pants, coat and hood. I also wear some snow boots.
Most sporting goods or outdoor wear places should have it.  I recommend
this for all of the dedicated southern observers who may be using your
'everyday' cold weather gear. It makes the obs session so much more
enjoyable.

Tom