[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Hunt of December 9/10, 2002!

December 15, 2002

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

It was a lot more pleasant observing than last time.
This is, perhaps, partly due to the fact that I
brought gloves with me this time and was better
prepared.

I saw only one sporadic during 0.81 hrs. with 5.0 + LM
and no clouds!  I suppose that is what you would call
weak activity!

Like always, feel free to offer corrections or
comments to the report.

DATE: Dec. 9/10, 2002            BEGIN: 1:00:30  UT
                                 END:   1:50:30  UT
OBSERVER: Mark Fox
LOCATION: Long: 85 deg. 49' W; Lat.: 43 deg. 27' N
City & State: Newaygo, Newaygo, Co., MI USA
Elevation: 760 feet
Start Temperature: 28 F (-02 C) @ 0:58:00 UT
End Temperature:  27 F (-03 C) @ 1:55:00 UT
Windy?: Calm.
RECORDING METHOD: Designate Tape Recorder or Manual:
manual (paper & pencil)

OBSERVED SHOWERS: (Use 3 letter Codes)
GEM
XOR (ANT)
MON
SPO

OBSERVING PERIODS:
(On average, 10 sec/meteor should be subtracted for
recording purposes.)
0 = None seen;  / = shower not watched.

PERIOD(UT)   FIELD    LM   TEFF  GEM  XOR  MON  SPO

1:00:30-  *4 h 36 m;  ~5.0  0.81  0    0    0    1
1:50:30   16 deg. 31"

*Note: The star I was focusing on most of the time was
Aldebaran.

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER  -3 -2 -1  0  +1 +2 +3 +4 +5
GEM      0  0  0  0   0  0  0  0  0
XOR      0  0  0  0   0  0  0  0  0
MON      0  0  0  0   0  0  0  0  0
SPO      0  0  0  0   1  0  0  0  0
Total: 1 meteor

FIELD OF VIEW OBSCURED:

       ~5% FROM: 1:00:30 UT
        TO:      1:50:30 UT  (Ground obstructions.)

DEAD TIME: ~ 1.5 min.

BREAKS: none

LIMITING MAGNITUDE:

                   AVERAGE
            STAR    STAR
TIME        AREA    COUNT    LM

1:04:00      8        7-     4.8?
1:06:30      6        5+     5.2
1:16:00      8        7      5.1
1:30:00      8        7      5.1
1:34:30      2        5      4.8?
1:46:00      8        8-     5.1
1:46:00      2        5      4.8?

MEAN LIMITING MAGNITUDE: ~5.0

METEOR DATA:

                            SPEED
 #   TIME(UT)  SHOWER  MAG  (1-5)  COLOR  TRAIN(SEC)
 1   1:19:43     SPO    1     3     Wh.      -

            PATH         GENERAL LOCATION
 # SHOWER  LENGTH        (and/or START
                         & END POINTS)

 1 SPO     10 deg.       Tau. to Ori.
                         Began a few degrees
                         away from zeta Tauri,
                         and ended right by
                         Bellatrix (gamma Orionis)

 #     SHOWER   "APPROXIMATE" DEGREES / SEC.

 1       SPO      10 deg./sec.

SPEED (VELOCITY) SCALE:
0 = Stationary
1 = Very Slow
2 = Slow
3 = Medium
4 = Fast
5 = Very Fast

REMARKS:

1. The time of the lone sporadic should hopefully not
be off by much (3 sec. at most if at all.)

2.  GEM = Geminids; XOR =  Chi Orionids (ANT); MON =
Monocerotids; SPO = sporadics.

3.  Tau.= Taurus; Ori. = Orion; etc.

Long, bright, and stony Geminids!

Mark Fox