[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) The Geminids and Some Questions Relating to Their Asteroidal Background

December 16, 2002

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

Peak night was again another cloudy wipe out--- making
it 3 or 2 years in a row now.  The night after also
proved to be overcast--- at least for most of the
night.  It looks as if there could have been some
clear patches of sky during the last few hours before
dawn, but I missed out.  The big failure, however, was
last night (Dec. 15/16) when I woke up to pristine
clear skies a few moments before sunup.  I knew it
started to significantly clear up around 10:49 P.M.
EST (3:49 UT) on the night of the 15th, but wanted to
wait till early morning to possibly hunt... which I
apparently slept all the way through.

However, I should be grateful that I saw some activity
on Dec. 11/12 and I plan on (if the weather and I will
allow it) some post Geminid observations, although I
fear it is too late now.

***By the way, my December 9/10 observations were a
little breezy and "NOT" calm as typed in the
report.***

But now, speaking of the Geminids, I find their
asteroidal background intriguing as do many others.

1. Has anyone ever reported a sonic boom or any other
sound phenomena related to a Geminid fireball before?

2. Does anyone consider their luminous flight
"behavior" significantly different from Leonids and/or
Perseids for examples?

3. Are there any showers that are similar in character
to the Geminids?

Thank you in advance for your time in reading the
questions and for any possible answers.

Many merry Ursids!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA