[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Geminids in Jakarta, Indonesia

We use the Australian almanac/yearbook made by Quasar Publishing called "A
Practical guide to the night sky"
<http://www.quasarastronomy.com.au/default.htm> for our meteor shower
info... they've never let us down and we've been using it since '95 (they
were the only ones in the Australian media that got the '98 leonid fireball
peak just right *17th* ( 16th UT ).
 The media here gets a lot of their astro info from the American media (CNN
ect.) -lazy ozzie journo's- and of course their talking American dates that
dont apply to the "The Island's of the Day Before". So everybody in general
( civilians - hehe ) here went out for the 18th as the main day in '98
except for us (and the many other well informed people ..i presume) ..coz we
saw them all lining the roads in the sticks on the 18th (as we went out for
5 days of the leonids as well). BTW I have the 2003 edition of the yearbook
and those dates for the peaks of showers mentioned on
http://www.museum.vicdot gov.au/planetarium/solarsystem/meteors.html are years
out of date
I hope you can obtain a copy of it where you are Ferry. The yearbook is made
for all type's of amateur astronomers no matter if your casual or full on
about it.

Kearn Jones
Adelaide, Australia
www.southern-x.org