[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Telescope types

What telescope to choose is always a difficult question to answer, but I
will give it a go...
Personally, I prefer reflecting models rather than refractors. This is
mainly because the size of the mirror in reflectors is usually a lot larger
than refractors in entry level telescopes... The more light you can gather,
the better the images you will get. After that point, the rest comes down to
what you can afford and what you want to see... A typical 4 1/2 inch scope
will show a lot of the brighter objects in the sky, such as the moon, major
planets, and a few of the brighter nebulae... After that, the pickings get a
bit slim. My preference for a starter scope is in the range of six to ten
inches, though these do get a bit more expensive...
With a scope of this size, you can see much more detail and much fainter
objects, such as distant galaxies... You can also begin to get nice colours
emerging from objects such as the Orion nebula.
One thing to be aware of when shopping, is the claims made by some scope
makers regarding the magnification of their toys...
Magnification is a very poor indicator of quality, and in viewing terms, is
of only minimal consequence...
Any scope can be made to produce high magnifications, but few will give a
good image at high powers...

As I live in New Zealand, I don't know what the pricing is like on different
models where you are, so I won't guess...

In the end, I would try to find if there is an astronomy club in your
area... Then you could see what things are available and try some scopes
out... Seeing is the only way to know for yourself...

There is one more option, if you have some engineering skills. You could
consider building your own... There would be heaps of info on the web
regarding this...

I hope this has given you a point in the right direction...

Good luck, Graham.

Graham & Amy Palmer
1/622 Nelson St. North,
Mahora.