[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Beginner telescope recommendation?

In a message dated 12/17/02 4:04:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kahuna2@fastdot net writes:

<< Does anyone have any recommendations on a starter scope for an 8 year-old?
 Brands, price ranges, feature sets to look for, etc? Any help is
 appreciated. >>

Hi Gene --

    I wish I had a nickel for all the times that somebody came up to me and
said that they've just gotten interested in astronomy right and off the bat
wanted to purchase a telescope.  Or . . . (like you), a parent or grandparent
wanted to know the best telescope to buy for a young child in, say, the
8-to-12 year old age bracket.

    My usual response to this is: "First, you (or the child) should spend
some quality time under the stars and then, when you think you (or the child)
is ready, go out and purchase a pair of good binoculars."  Some might think
that binoculars are a bit of a come down from a telescope, but the fact of
the matter is that for certain aspects of sky watching they are the best
instrument of all to use.  A pair of 7-power binoculars is lightweight and
portable. And a quality pair of binoculars can far outrank a poor quality
small telescope and is an instrument that should last you a lifetime.

    Binoculars come in a variety of sizes.  Most observers prefer the
so-called 7 x 50     "night glasses."  The 7 refer to the magnification,
while the 50 refer to the diameter of the two objective lenses measured in
millimeters.  My own personal preference, incidentally, are 7 x 35
"wide-angle" binoculars that provide a much larger field of view (11º) as
opposed to most other units.  Any good pair of 7-power binoculars, when held
steadily will give you a glimpse of the craters of the Moon, the crescent of
Venus and the moons of Jupiter.  Should a bright comet come along, there is
no better instrument to give you a great overall view of both the head and
tail.  And by just sweeping along the Milky Way, you'll be treated to a
myriad of stars.

    The year 2003 will bring quite a few interesting sky events including two
total lunar eclipses, a transit of Mercury and very close approach of the
planet Mars to the Earth.  These are the kind of sights that can fire-up the
interest in the sky for an impressionable youngster.

    So . . . I'd say get him a nice pair of binoculars and a couple of good
astronomy guides.  If, a year from now, he comes to you and says:  "I'd
really like a telescope," you'll know he's ready to move up to the next
plateau.

-- joe rao