[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Geminids in Jakarta, Indonesia

Sorry to muddy the waters, the leonid peak day change question this year, is
just how it appeared to me (as a astro lay person). And of course, all is
not as it can appear as everyone knows.
And i made a slight error with Comet Honig, Sebastian was actually slewing
his scope to look at a globular cluster and the alignment was slightly off
and he got his own comet ( after he had been deliberately searching for a
comet earlier that night ).
http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelbergdot de/~shoenig/discstory.html  but it was
still the result of a kind of mistake i guess .
I suppose im the classic example of "a little knowledge is a dangerous
thing" ill be more careful in future .. :)
Kearn

> From: Robert McNaught <rmn@murky.anudot edu.au>
> Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 10:34:43 +1100 (EST)
> To: belatrix <belatrix@ozemail.com.au>
> Cc: meteorobs@atmob.org
> Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Re: Geminids in Jakarta, Indonesia
>
> Hi,
> I'm not aware of anyone making changes (except perhaps of a few minutes)
> to the predicted time of the 2002 Leonid peaks.  Rates are always an
> issue and I suspect most observers are seduced by the reported errors in
> ZHR calculations that do not include a full error propogation for
> all factors that are used in the determination of ZHRs.  I have never
> accepted formal statistical errors even when I was the JAS meteor section
> director in the UK.  I considered a second significant figure in many ZHRs
> as questionable.  With masses of observations, a second significant
> figure is reasonable, but I don't believe it.
>
> The 2 comets I refer to were discovered about 70 years ago and about
> 10 years ago.  The former was when someone trying to confirm a new comet
> was sent the wrong coordinates and believed they had confirmed a new
> comet, but had in fact discovered a different one.  The other was when
> the Shoemakers had the wrong mean anomaly in their orbit for a comet
> Levy.  Instead of observing comet Levy, they found another one following
> comet Levy by the exact amount of their error in mean anomaly!  The comets
> has split on a previous occasion.  Gary Kronk and others will have this
> info at their fingertips.  Perhaps Honig is another but I know nothing of
> it's discovery circumstance.
>
> Cheers, Rob
>

> The archive and Web site for our list is at http://www.meteorobs.org
> To stop getting all email from the 'meteorobs' lists, use our Webform:

Follow-Ups: References: