[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) 2002 Ursids: Please take a look

Hi Everyone,
Esko Lyytinen paid us the courtesy of mentioning a WEAK Ursid outbreak
possibility for 1900 and 2040 UT on 2002/12/22.  If the sky is clear, I plan
to observe during evening twilight here in the Eastern Standard Time zone in
the Americas.  For me, it will be about 2230 UT.  I will have about one hour
before the waning gibbous moon rises, according to Heavens Above.  For my
latitude, the radiant will be about 30 degrees high, 10 higher than the IMO
recommends as a minimum for useful observation.  Who knows?  I may see some
Ursids.  I believe it is worthwhile to support investigators like Lyytinen
by making an observational test.
IT IS ONLY A FEW HOURS TO THE POSSIBLE "PEAKS."  Asian and European
observers will see the radiant at higher elevations and see the peaks in the
dark (with a bright moon).  It is important to continue to monitor the
Ursids to establish a record of activity for this poorly studied shower.
Especially because of Lyytinen's prediction this is a good year to make an
effort.
I will communicate my results later on.  Good luck for your observations.
Best wishes,
Rich Taibi