[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) 2002 Ursids from West Virginia

   From Screech Owl Hill Oservatory, Mountain Meadows, Mathias, West Virginia,
I was lucky to see some good unexpected premax. Ursid Meteor Shower activity
between the end of Astronomical Twilight and moonrise. There were times when
6.5 magn. stars could be seen, but only for about half of the hour. My average
magnitude limit was still a respectable 6.3 for the hour from 23:00 to 24:00
UT on the evening of December 21/22, 2002. In all, 9 Ursids  were seen, along
with 3 sporadics. There was a short lived mini-outburst seen at 23:20 UT when
four Ursids were seen in less than a minute. No fireballs were seen, and most
of the meteors were faint.

   Below is a short summary. Thanks go to fellow Marylander Richard Taibi for
reminding me of the  short Ursid observing windows  this past weekend before
moonrise via email. I was a little surprised by the amount of Ursid activity.

   DATE     LM   %Obst.  Ursids  Sporadics   Total    FOV
Dec.21/22   6.3    0%      9         3         12   22 +75

Magnitude Distribution
      0  1  2  3  4  5
URS   2  0  2  0  4  1
SPO   0  0  0  2  0  1

P.S. The January issue of NEBULA, the newsletter of the Goddard Astronomy Club
     is now on-line at:   http://garc9.gsfc.nasadot gov/~astro/gac.html
     There is a short commentary on the Leonids.

Happy Holidays and Best Wishes
for a Many Stars and Meteors New Year!

GWG