[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Corrected Ursid Report

Ammended Ursid Observations
By George W. Gliba
Dec. 21/22, 2002 - 23:00 to 24:00 UT
Screech Owl Hill Observatory, Mountain Meadows
West Virginia 385710N 0785544W

  After being perplexed by my fairly high Ursid rates, I went back over my
tape recording and found that the brightest three Ursids were probably
satellite glints that fooled me. I have never observed so early in the
evening since my youth. before the days of manmade satellites. Anyhow, I am
usually good with the I.D. of any Iridium flares, but this time I was fooled.
Sorry about the ammended report, which follows.

  So, there were only 6 possible Ursid meteors seen, with an average magnitude
of 3.1.

AMMENDED URSID TABLES

   Time (UT)   LM   Ursids      Comments
  23:00-23:05  6.2     0
  23:05-23:10  6.2     0
  23:10-23:15  6.4     1
  23:15-23:20  6.5     2     both seen @23:20
  23:20-23:25  6.5     1
  23:25-23:30  6.5     0
  23:30-23:35  6.5     0
  23:35-23:40  6.4     0
  23:40-23:45  6.3     1       moon rising
  23:45-23:50  6.2     0
  23:50-23:55  6.2     0
  23:55-24:00  6.2     1
  23:00-24:00  6.3     6