[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Hunt of December 26/27, 2002

December 28, 2002

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

Finally, a clear night!  There hasn't been any clear
nights here in a long time.  It wasn't perfect though,
actually quite far from it!  Fast moving clouds made
observing difficult and recording the sky conditions
likewise.  A haze popped in and out with the clouds,
crippling the LM in my field of view.  It was a haze
that did not blot out all the stars, though. I did not
record the LM using the star areas during those times
for fear I might alter the mean LM for the
observations, and give a wrong impression of the
results since the haze did not persist all the time.

I had a slight question about listing meteor #2 in the
report as it did seem quite fast, but I think it is
fair to say that it probably was one, which my senses
seemed to indicate at the time of the sighting.

Like always, feel free to inform me of any comments or
errors in the following report.

DATE: Dec. 26/27, 2002            BEGIN: 0:27  UT
                                  END:   1:27  UT
OBSERVER: Mark Fox
LOCATION: Long: 85 deg. 49' W; Lat.: 43 deg. 27' N
City & State: Newaygo, Newaygo, Co., MI USA
Elevation: 760 feet
Start Temperature:  32 F (00 C) @  0:24:00 UT
End Temperature:    31 F (-01 C) @ 1:32:30 UT
Windy?: Calm.
RECORDING METHOD: Designate Tape Recorder or Manual:
manual (paper & pencil)

OBSERVED SHOWERS: (Use 3 letter Codes)
SPO

OBSERVING PERIODS:
(On average, 10 sec/meteor should be subtracted for
recording purposes.) 0 = None seen;  / = shower not
watched.

PERIOD(UT)    FIELD       LM    TEFF   SPO

0:27-1:27   *4 h 36 m;   ~5.0   0.93    2
            16 deg. 31"

*Note: This area is where Aldebaran is located.

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER  -3 -2 -1  0  0.5 +1 +2 +3 +4 +5
SPO      0  0  0  0   1   0  0  0  1  0
Total: 2 meteors

FIELD OF VIEW OBSCURED:

          ~2% FROM: 0:27 UT
              TO:  ~0:40 UT
              0:40 --- hazy
              0:42 ---~20% cloud cover or thick haze
              0:44 --- 75+%
              0:46 ---~50%
              0:49 ---~10%
              0:51 ---~40%

     ~5% or < FROM: ~0:55 UT
              TO:   ~1:21 UT
              1:21:30 ---20%
              1:22 ---~30%
              1:23 ---75%
              1:24:30 ---50%

Note: Clouds made the sky conditions very variable.  I
hope the above information will give a rough idea of
what I mean as it was fairly difficult to record.

DEAD TIME: ~ 4 min.

BREAKS: none

LIMITING MAGNITUDE:

                     AVERAGE
             STAR     STAR
 TIME        AREA     COUNT    LM

 0:30:00       8        7-     4.8
 0:37:00       6        5      5.2
 0:38:00       8       ~7      5.1
 0:56:00       8        7-     4.8
 1:00:00       8        6      4.8
 1:15:00       8        7      5.1
 1:17:00       4        4       -
 1:18:00       2        4       -
 ~1:26         8        7      5.1

MEAN LIMITING MAGNITUDE: ~5.0

METEOR DATA:

                            SPEED
 #   TIME(UT)  SHOWER  MAG  (1-5)  COLOR  TRAIN(SEC)
 1   0:50:04    SPO    0.5    2     Yel.      -
 2   1:05:17    SPO    ~4     5?    Wh.       -

            PATH      GENERAL LOCATION
 # SHOWER  LENGTH      (and/or START
                       & END POINTS)

 1  SPO   ~10 deg.     Cam./Per.

 2  SPO   ~10 deg.     Tau.

 #     SHOWER   "APPROXIMATE" DEGREES / SEC.

 1       SPO      5+ deg./sec.
 2       SPO     20- deg./sec. (?)

SPEED (VELOCITY) SCALE:
0 = Stationary
1 = Very Slow
2 = Slow
3 = Medium
4 = Fast
5 = Very Fast

REMARKS:

1. The meteor time should hopefully be off by no more
than a few seconds at most.

2.  SPO = sporadics.

3.  Per. = Perseus; Cam. = Camelopardalis; Tau.=
Taurus; etc.

Slow, frosty Quadrantids!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA