[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

R: (meteorobs) Quads best before or after peak?

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Linnolt <mlinnolt@alum.mitdot edu>
To: <meteorobs@atmob.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2002 2:15 AM
Subject: (meteorobs) Quads best before or after peak?

> Hello list,
>
> Could anyone tell me what the profile of the activity of the QUA is
pre/post-peak? Is it symmetrical or activity favors one or the other? Here
in Hawaii, I am not well placed and have a choice of either observing 9
hours pre-peak or 15 hours post-peak. All things being equal, I would expect
the pre-peak time to be better, unless the ZHR profile tends to be higher
after the peak.

> Thanks info,
> Mike Linnolt

If I remember well the Quads rise more quickly after than before the
maximum,
but there is a mass effect, a selection by mass of meteoroids, then 19 hours
before the visual maximum there is the radio maximum, and after the visual
maximum there are many maximum, each one for each magnitude class,
this maximums come in only some hours from the classical visual maximum.
This year from the Hawaii you should have possibility to see very very
big bolids (-12 or more) from Quads, but there is only a little possibility
see only one of this bolids.
Roberto Gorelli