[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Informal pre-peak Quads

Because I have to go to work today, I did a brief,
informal pre-peak watch just in case something really
astounding might be happening (which it is not, I
think it may be safe to say)...

2003 January 3 UTC

30.31N, 97.31W, 150m (Austin, Texas, just over a
block from my apartment)

LM 4.4 (six stars in Leo, area #9)

Looked southwest of handle of Big Dipper (about +55
altitude?); about 10% (?) of sky blocked by trees

Teff, about 25 minutes during 11:10 to 11:40 UTC

QUA 2 (both about +2)
SPO 1 (about +3)

In nearly the same place and conditions in December
1996 I saw 15 or 16 Geminids (my first GEMs) in less
than an hour without really trying very hard.

Planning to go out tonight.  The question is, given
that I don't think I'll be able to last all night, when
to start looking:  (a) when radiant rises, for two or
three hours after, or (b) last two or three hours before
morning twilight -- or (c) something in between.

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA