[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) No Quadrantid Peak From MI/Quadrantid Flashes?

Jan. 5, 2003

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

The "Quads" were smothered here by clouds.  No peak,
or post peak will be seen it looks like.  The sky is
blanketed with clouds even now as I write this.

In any event, I just read Kim S. Youmans Quadrantid
report with interest.  It just occurred to me that
when I observed on Dec. 31,2002/Jan. 1, 2003, I had
noticed at least three very swift flashes that all
"could" have originated near the Quadrantid area of
the sky.  Keep in mind that the radiant was located at
or very close to the horizon at the time.  I didn't
know what to make of them since they were so fast.
They lasted only a few tenths of a second, and could
have been easily overlooked.

Is it possible that they could have actually been
meteors after all?  Perhaps they were the meteor
equivalents to "heat lightning?"

Many sudden delta Cancrid outbursts!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA