[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Mintron 12V1 images

Steve Quirk and I have finally got the Mintron 12V1 operating routinely.
Initial results show no difference in the rate of detections over the
Watec 902h.  The big difference is that the Mintron images have a much
larger dynamic range, but it seems to us that the S/N is much the same
for faint meteors.  Perhaps there is more tweaking required of the MetRec
parameters, but when our recognition threshold is too low, we get lots of
false detections, but no increase in meteor numbers over the Watec.

This was in x1 and x2.  I wonder if x2 really helps for meteor detections
when the meteors are already streaks at x1 with the 25mm f/0.85 lens?  It
would certainly make sense for short focal lengths, but perhaps Sirko can
elaborate if longer streaks will help in detection.  It is likely to
hinder good astrometry.

The great feature of the Mintron is in its accumulate mode allowing 2.5
second exposures.  A few of these accumulated Mintron images appear on
Steve Quirk's astronomy web pages at

http://hwy.com.au/~sjquirk/index2.html

under "astro/meteor images"

The streak on the M42 image is of a satellite.

Cheers, Rob