[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Canberra Australia disaster including Mt. Stromlo Observatory

if you look at this depressing photo, you'll see what a total loss it was.
I just spoke to a friend in Canberra - the fire came within less than 1 km
of his home.
- Jay

http://news.bbc.codot uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2676247.stm

[See URL for more and photos]

Astronomers are reeling from the loss of Australia's historic Mount Stromlo
Observatory, which has been gutted by the bush fires that have raged around
Canberra, the country's capital.
"The core of its scientific observations has been destroyed," said Professor
Ian
Chubb, of the Australian National University, the facility's operator.

Standing on top of a ridge overlooking a pine forest, Mt Stromlo succumbed
the 35-kilometre-long wall of flame that devastated much of the region at
the
weekend.

Follow-Ups: References: