[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: meteorobs-digest V4 #1077 - Weather, Lightnings and rainstormings

----- Original Message -----
From: meteorobs-digest <owner-meteorobs-digest@atmob.org>
To: <meteorobs-digest@atmob.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 4:23 PM
Subject: meteorobs-digest V4 #1077

> meteorobs-digest     Wednesday, January 22 2003     Volume 04 : Number
1077

> (meteorobs) Re: re-using parts from Stromlo scopes
> Re: (meteorobs) Canberra Australia disaster including Mt. Stromlo
Observatory
> Re: (meteorobs) Canberra Australia disaster including Mt.
StromloObservatory
> Re: (meteorobs) Re: re-using parts from Stromlo scopes
> (meteorobs) Mt Stromlo fire damageinformation site
> RE: (meteorobs) Re: re-using parts from Stromlo scopes
> (meteorobs) AKM Video Observation Results December 2002

Hello All,

It is nice to be here again after almost a month long vacation trip to the
southern part of Brazil. That was more than 10 thousand Km riding! Most of
the them I was refreshing kind of my time at reading and taking a look at
the skies both during the day and at night. Beaultiful. So, even being an
off topic subject for meteorObs list I will try to describe some of what I
faced concerning to the weather, clouds, and the milk way as they appeared
to me.

The weather was fine almost all the trip long. So, even getting dark
cloudies, I could observe during the day, even for the summer season, cloudy
skies plenty of cloudies up to be traded into rains. Fortunately they didn't
come. Just in Rio de Janeiro, after an evening travel of about 5 hrs, I just
arrived in a historical city named Petropolis. In there, I could face the
effects of what the "locals" told me "as aresult of two hours of rains".  I
could interpretate the situation at 2:30 pm, before the storm, cause, I was
about two hours from the mentioned above city. So, as fast as I could look
at the sky, I could observe a wonderful lightning after another! There was
no noise, but lightnings for the rest of my journey to Petropolis. They were
not very distant from my window. The dark night contributed for the
exuberant brilliant quantity of lightnings. I just could understand that the
amount of rating per minute were about no more than ten of them. As a result
of this nature spetacule I got in Petropolis: hills and mountains devastated
by the the storm. Therefore, some of the population affected by the
rainstorm were trying to reorganize their lives as soon as I arrived there
in the first hours of the morning. So, the rest of my journey to the topmost
southern part of Brazil reestarted at noon.

The weather was very hot as fast as I was directing myself to the south. The
"low" cloudies gave me the chance to remenber a visit made to the north of
Brazil, nearby Amazon point. Contrasting? The temperature was almost the
same! All the time I got high temperatures and not very clouded  skies.
Well, the exection happened in the coldest part of Brazil. Cities like
'Gramado, Canela, Joinville and Florianopolis', all included in the state of
Parana have showed a weather which I considered as "cold", varying from 18°
C to 25º C. Finally, in Canelas, at 01:30 am, up in on the "Serra Geral" -,
I could observe Leo Constellation in its plenitude. It was very there in a
radiant up to the horizon, at my eyes field of view, that without any
difficult, I could observe it "alone in a dark cold sky of the southern part
of my country. So, the Milk Way was very pleasant. There was no lit
pollution, and I could desfrutate of imaginable moments of observing Leo and
some of the group of the stars, that, according to my references, should be
Orion, but it wasn't, should be Betelgeuse, but it won't, should any of the
group pf stars that I am used to observe, but they were very crowded
(together) for being identified at that observing time.

So, having nothing else to relate, but for the lightnings, the storms in
many states and the Milky Way, I just could face not before crossing the
border of the frontiers of Paraguay and Argentina that the cloudies were
very "low". It sounded a little strange for me. It gave me the feeling that
they were up to be no more than eleven or fifteen meters away from the
ground. Of course that I was on the top of the highest altitudes of Brazil.
Good enough!

Having nothing else to mention about the nature along these month long, I
would like to say that I'm back again up to observe the phenomena as they
appeared on the Reports. That's just an ordinary relate.

Clear Skies,

Marco Valois from Recife   -   8º Lat - 38º Long.