[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Microscopic shuttle debris

I saw the following notice on the microscopy list serve list.  I'm not sure
if anyone is collecting micro-meteorite particles these days but this may
be an experiment worth considering as it relates to meteoric science.

Thomas Ashcraft

*************

Those of you in the path of the debris field of the tragic break up of the
space shuttle Colombia have a unique opportunity to try to catch
microscopic
debris from it over the next few days as the winds move it over the south
east part of the United States. This is the largest event of its kind and
first chance for this kind of research.

Pans of glycerin, water or some other liquid or possibly the sticky side of
tape or some kind of gel to trap the particles on roofs and in the open at
ground level should catch this debris. Some kind of baffles to protect the
pans from wind should help catch small particles and protect from
contamination from the surrounding area.

Reports in California by an astronomer of small flashes following the
shuttle as it pass over may extend the area were debris can be found.

The current winds aloft should carry the debris along the Gulf Coast and
across central Florida if they continue as they are now.