[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Orbital question

    Richard Phelps wrote a thoughtful post about a TV show, proving among
other things that TV can actually provoke thought.  I have a simple question
about one of his points, which I assume one of the many orbital mechanics on
this list can answer with alacrity.

> 5) Ensure each STS mission has full docking capability with the ISS.

    Would that capability require that all shuttle missions fly at or near
ISS's inclination of 51.6 degrees? How much manoeuvrability (sp.??) does the
shuttle have to change its inclination? For example, the Shuttle is the only
vehicle which can service the Hubble Space Telescope, which is at a much
lower inclination -- I don't it know off the top of my head; all I know is
that unlike the ISS, you can *never* see it from here (53.6 degrees N.). I
daresay its inclination is not much more than the minimum necessary (~ the
latitude of Cape Canaveral), whereas ISS had to have an inclination at least
equal to the latitude of Baikonur, not to mention the fact that to be truly
international it better fly over as many countries as feasible.

    Bottom line, though: Would a shuttle mission to HST possibly be able to
rendezvous with ISS?

    regards, Bruce McCurdy, Edmonton

Follow-Ups: References: