[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Re:Troy Simpson Fireball Obs.

Hello Graham,

Thankyou very much for your reply and your kind welcome and advice.
Just to quickly round up what you have told me, the object I saw in
Moura could well have been quite a lot further than what I perceived,
thankyou for clarifying that.  The thing I can't explain about the
object I saw in Brisbane was the lack of a sonic boom.  I am quite
certain of the close proximity of the object because of the clarity of
sparks and small firey ejections; I would expect that at 40 or 50 miles
those kinds of details would be lost in the brightness of the burnup.
Perhaps the object had already come below the speed of sound by the time
it was close enough for a boom to be audible?  Although it was still
moving fast, I guess it was losing so much mass that friction could do
its work much faster to slow the object than if it had still been large
and heavy.  I did perceive the object to come to a virtual standstill as
it came apart in it's final fiz of sparks.  Cheers!

Regards,

Troy Simpson