[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) meteoroid heating

Ok, the highly energized atmospheric particles are boiling off material
(stony-iron for the moment) thru radiant energy rather than friction.
This makes sense - might explain the scouring process pretty nicely. I
guess my question is this... for those who obtain spectra of incoming
meteors - how do you discern the emissions from the ionized atmospheric
gasses and those of the frozen gasses attributable to the cometary
debris. I know some of the more  complex compounds will have their
readily identifiable signature but how can you state with certainty the
make up of the meteoroid?
I'm thinking the spectral image will be a combination of the two.
Any thoughts?
Tom