[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

No Subject

Thanks Ed,

Getting back to the heating effects.... I'm not sure applying pressure is
the appropriate description (although I may get there before I finish
this).  As the meteoroid begins to encounter atmospheric particles, it
begins to give up its kinetic energy imparting it to the particles it
encounters (the wall of plasma needs a slightly denser atmosphere to
allow the particles to pile up) The transferred kinetic energy is
absorbed by the atmospheric particles raising their temperature (same as
kinetic energy). The atmosphere is the part experiencing most of the
compression since it is a gas. The meteoroid too experiences pressure
from the sheer decelerative forces being applied to it. The 'superheated'
gasses begin to radiate their energy, in part, onto the surface of the
meteoric particle. The particle experiences sublimation (in the case of
frozen gas meteor particles) from the raidant energy of the plasma and,
to a lesser degree (I'm thinking) due to internal heating from
decelerative forces.

I feel that a stony iron experiences very little deformation or ablation
due to compressive forces on its body, rather from the radiant energy
imparted by the compressed gasses. I'm thinking of meteorites that have
survived the fall. Certainly, bolides that fracture on reentry, do so in
part to pressures along lines of structural weakness.

I dont throw this out as a statement of fact but more as I model I
constructed in my mind from my best understanding of the Physics I
learned (way back).

I learn best from an exchange of ideas.  Please feel free to chip in.