[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Not really...

Re: Meteor Trackers Called in to Predict Trajectory of
Columbia Debris

Actually, NASA did not confirm this...

"NASA spokesman John Ira Petty at the Johnson Space
Center could not confirm whether NASA or the Columbia
Accident Investigation Board (CAIB) was seeking the
help of any meteor experts in California."

The premise of this Space.Com article rests entirely
on the word of a "former" shuttle engineer from
California.  I doubt that he would even qualify as a
"NASA official", whatever that elusive term means.
And, before my "nasadot gov" email address gets me in
trouble by being declared as a "NASA source", let me
make clear that - neither I, nor any "meteor expert"
that I know of, have been approached by NASA for help.

What I can confirm is that a "predicted" trajectory
and probable debris field has already been plotted!!
It was calculated by our own List member, Rob Matson,
on his own time, at his own expense, without any
funding from NASA.  His data is published at this URL:

Before I went to Tucson earlier this month, I set up a
discussion group on YahooGroups so that members of our
meteorite-recovery team could have a "place" (other
than existing meteorite-lists) to discuss the O.T.
subject of the STS-107 disaster and how best to help
NASA locate debris.  Before I returned from that
Tucson trip, Rob Matson had already calculated and
uploaded a map of a ground-track for the Columbia
STS-107 re-entry flight path. Once again, this was
accomplished before NASA published their web site.

Now the Debris-locators Group will continue its theme
of "lead by example", by supplying links to official
NASA web sites for people who wish to report debris
locations, at the following URL:

Access to these links can be made by obtaining a Yahoo
ID name and password at this web site:

With best regards,
BOb Verish
Moderator, Debris-locators

P.S. - the Johnson Space Center Debris Hotline-number
is (281) 483-3388