[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) plasma torch

I haven't seen a response to the inquiry about the torch, so I will throw
this out as an explanation. If you guys see any holes in this explanation
please feel free to correct me.

Plasma to a Physicist is a chemical element  that has been energized to
the extent that no electrons can maintain their positions in the
traditional 'orbits' or energy levels. If an electron briefly assumes
such a position the 'temperature' of the nucleus is high enough that the
electron absorbs some of that energy and is driven away from the element.
In the case of a reentering spacecraft the earth's atmosphere (elemental
and compounds) are energized to these levels. So you have nucleii
energized to several thousand degrees Celsius (or Kelvin as the Physics
guys would prefer). This is the body of the plasma 'attacking' the
spacecraft as it does on every reentry. The tiles are designed to
withstand the energy of the plasma field but if they are damaged so that
the wing surface is exposed, the plasma can melt and then render into a
gaseous state the actual surfaces of the craft normally under the tiles.
As soon as the surface is breached, the plasma will enter into the
interior (of the wing in this case) under tremendous force (thus a plasma
torch). Incredible damage will ensue and these components are not
designed to withstand these temps.
Tom