[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Obs. 3/16/03, WVa

   I was able to get an hour of fairly dark sky meteor watching in up at
Mountain Meadows, Screech Owl Hill Observatory, Mathias, West Virginia on
Sunday morning, March 15/16, 2003, but meteor activity was pretty sparse.
From 9:30 to 10:30 UT, with an average of LM=5.5, I saw seven meteors, one
from the Virginid complex, one Northern Apex, and five sporadics. The best
meteor seen was the 1st magnitude NPX one seen at 9:43 UT. For a short time
(~15 min.) the LM reached 5.8 and the Milky Way was pretty good, but the
moon, haze, and twilight onset limited the darkness period; thus lowering
the overall transparency. It was nice seeing the Summer Triangle in March,
and the morning planets (Venus and Mars). Comet Juels-Holvorcem was seen with
15x70 binoculars before I started my meteor watch.

Below is a short breakdown of what meteors were observed.

  Double Date    Time (UT)  LM   VIR  NPX  SPX  SPO  Total   FOV    Comments
Mar.15/16,2003  9:30-10:30  5.5   1    1    0    5     7   18.0+35 moon&twlgt
                                                                     &haze

Magnitude Distribution
     0  1  2  3  4
VIR  0  0  0  1  0