[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Here comes the Sun!

Hell folks... Some good news is heading our way... An X - class flare and a CME billowed from the sun this morning, and is coming our way... Yes at last!
Also, (and this warrants an aurora warning by itself) the earth is inside the flow from a coronal hole, and is currently creating good conditions for aurora... The current Kp index is 5. Velocity is 755km/ps and Bz is -7. If these conditions persist (and they have a good chance) then viewers with clear skies could be in for a nice show...
If the CME arrives fairly quickly (in 24-36 hours) we may find the combination of events provides a beautiful display even at middle latitudes.
However, (covering my back here) there is never a guarantee with these things. We will just have to wait and see...
If you want to follow these events, try the following link... http://www.spacew.com/aurora/forum.html
So if the weather treats you kind, get out to a dark spot and look south! (or north for those in the northern hemisphere)
Good luck, Graham.

Graham Palmer
1/622 Nelson St. North,
Mahora.