Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:08:51 -0500 (EST)
From: nmcleod@peganet.com
Subject: (meteorobs) Re: darrell conger

>When I was part of the RI meteor society in the 60's, there was a great
>observer called Darrell Conger in West Virginia. Is he still observing?
>
>Dr.Eric

Conger was active for only 3 years or so, then he disappeared instantly.  In
1967 he saw over 7000 meteors, then the next year over 8000.  West Virginia
doesn't have a huge number of clear nights per year, so how did he achieve
such enormous totals?   AMS director  Olivier didn't know what to make of
him.  I had no insight either until our experiences with Gates a few years
later.  Conger must have been around perception 5.0 to 6.0, while Gates was
3.8, and mine at 1.0.  I don't know how data from super-percepted observers
can be used, as what they see can't be confirmed by the vast majority of
other observers.  Most of the showers must look like mini-storms to them.
All of our effort is diverted into studying the individual instead of  his
results, but it's an exercise in masochism and futility as there is nothing
firm enough to hang any concrete conclusions on.

The best I ever did from southern Florida was in 1974 -- observing 504 hours
I saw 7146 meteors.  The weather was extraordinary and I saw all of the
annual showers that year.  The August full moon was on the 3rd, thus the
Delta Aquarids and Perseids were both visible.   I went to the Keys several
times also.  Only the Geminid max night was cut short.

Norman