[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) FW: Meteor Chunks Crash In South Suburb - Illinois - STONES RECOVERED

Quote:

> I have just received a cell phone
> call that confirms that one of our own List members
> has already recovered several stones - to include a
> 200g chondrite that quote "...reminds one of
> Thuathe"!!

The newspaper article showed one stone that looked, in the photograph, to be
at least a couple of pounds.

So here we have space rocks, or a couple of pounds or larger, ONLY damaging
the roofs of two houses.

Based upon all asteroid impact theory, wouldn't it seem more appropriate for
rocks of this size to produce a sizeable explosion?  Wouldn't you think that
the impact velocity of (a) rock(s) of this size would reduce the rocks to
particles and not leave hand-held chunks?

Meteoric velocity rocks of chunk size not breaking up, leaving chunks of
double hand-sized material, breaking only the roof?

Seems like there is a real disjunct between the forecasted/ expected stored
energy of a "meteor" of this size....and the miniscule amount

chuck