[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Bolide in Illinois, etc.

These two stories have links to a slideshow which includes
a couple of good shots of the roof damage:

http://www.nbc5.com/news/2067595/detail.html
http://www.nbc5.com/news/2068758/detail.html

At least one of the stories I've read mentions people
hearing a "thunderous explosion".  There's a good pair of
photos that show before and during the bright-as-day flash.

To Chuck:  When this/these hit, they most likely were
going the terminal velocity of an object of their size and
density in the atmosphere at the altitude of the town.  So
that would be why the magnitude of the impacts seems small.
It would not be very likely that they would reach the
surface still going at meteor-type hypervelocity.

Ed Cannon - ecannon @ mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA