[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fwd: latest NASA Science News

[Arlene's original attempt to post this message failed. -Lew]

-----Original Message-----
From: "arlenecarol" <arlenecarol@turkdot net>
To: "meteors" <meteorobs@atmob.org>
Subject: latest NASA Science News
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 21:36:24 +0300

Those of you that don't belong to the NASA list might want to check it out.
At the end of the article (which includes a really great photograph of the
constellation of Orion and other phenomena) is this note: "Sky watchers who are
familiar with Orion might have noticed something odd in this photo. The hunter's
right foot--the bright star Rigel--looks like a meteor streaking straight down
into the airglow layer. Why? We'll answer that question in a Picture of the Day
next week."

can anyone on our list come up with an answer before next week's Picture of the
Day comes out? go take a look at the photo.

here's the address:

: International Space Station science officer Don Pettit was looking out the
window recently when the constellation Orion rose above Earth's limb. The
picture he took shows something rare: a constellation seen both above and
through Earth's atmosphere--at the same time. Orion's shoulders are bright and
clear against the black of interplanetary space. Orion's belt is surrounded by a
faint hazy-red glow. Orion's feet are ... stuck in the mud?
:
: FULL STORY:
: http://science.nasadot gov/ppod/y2003/03apr_orion.htm
: