From: Jan Verfl <Verfl>
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2003 9:09 AM
To: imo-news@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [IMO-News] Watching for possible meteors with the same orbit as Pribram
and Neuschwanstein

Hello all,

well, those ideas does not come from me, but I considered it usefull
to share it with IMO-observers. Please, don't feel i'm presenting
someone else's results - this all is only for your information.

As you may already know (it has been strongly debated in this mailing
list as well), last year on April 6 a bolide was seen and well
photographed with the European bolide network over austria. After
several months a meteorite has been luckily found in a mountain valley
in the Alps approx. 5 kilometers from The Neuschwanstein
Castle in Bayern.

As you may also know, the original path through the Solar System has
been found to be shockingly correspondant with the orbit of Pribram,
the first meteorite with known orbit ever found.

Since the probablity of this being a random coincidence is extremely
low, it could be concluded that there is a "meteoroid stream" in this
orbit. The Earth meets this stream every year around April 6, which
means THIS WEEKEND for 2003.  While nobody can say anything sure
about the structure or density (or even existence) of this stream, it
is only a kind of a naive dream, but why could it not be possible to
see some more meteors from this stream?

The radiant is somewhere on 190, +20 in COM (I'm sorry but i don't
remember the exact values and have know no time to ask for them),
what means that a northern-hemisphere obserevr can watch for the
whole night. The best nights for looking shoud be  6/7 Apr and 7/8
Apr, but it could be useful to pay some atention to one night before
and one after.

I guess it would be pretty much difficult to identify some odrinary
meteors from this source, but both historically observed pieces were
at least -17 mag bolides, so some bright pieces could be remarkable.

Comments welcome,
Jan
Verfl