[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) 2003 pi-puppids question

Hello you all,

Here is a copy of a question Adam Marsh (Australia) sent to me, and the
answer I gave him. We thought it can be usefull for other observers.

My answer is also the result of discussion with Esko Lyytinen who I
thank here by the way ;-)

Clear sky especially in south hemisphere !!!

Jeremie

(Note : this message is forwarded to meteorobs and IMO-news, as Bcc)

--------------- Question ---------------

Hi Jeremie.  My name is Adam Marsh, I run the Meteor Section of the
Astronomical society of Victoria Australia and routinely observe the Pi
Puppids, each year providing the weather is good.  I read your e-mail and it
is encouraging.  I have one question, what are the visual rates expected to
be for this stream in ZHR.

Any observation of the stream that are successful, I will forward to you as
well as the IMO for your information.

Thanks in advance,

Adam Marsh

Director - ASV Meteor Section (ASVMS)
Coordinator - Eastern Australian Meteor Network (EAMN)

ASVMS Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/vodickar/ASVMSHomepage.htm

EAMN and EAMN Mailing List Home Page
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EAMN/

---------------- Answer -------------

Dear Adam,

Thank you very much for your interest in pi-puppids, and your willing to
share your observations !

Actually, as the particle in our predictions are very tiny and as the
entry speed is "low", I am afraid the visual ZHR will be restricted to
the "annual background".

On the other hand, the radio profile is expectd to be higher than
usually. Again because particles are tiny. The problem with radio
technique is that it is hard to define a ZHR. Only the overall profile
of the shower can be exploited. Anyway it would be very usefull to have
such a profile, because it would be the only proof that our predictions
were right !
As we wrote in our web page, Australia is not the best situated place to
observe, but we also predicted a long duration shower, so you should
observe the end of the shower (a decreasing profile... in radio again).

So if you know some radio station, it would be nice to ask them to
observe. I know there are some in Australia (radio scattering method or
radar), but do not remember their names exactly (shame on me....)

Further informations about radio meteor observing techniques can be
found at :
www.page.to/meteor/

Anyway, meteors are always surprising ! So my final word would be that
it is always better to observe.

I wish to you and the whole meteor section of the astronomical society
of Australia a nice observation, by naked eye or radio scattering method
;-)

Kind regards.

Jeremie

--
* Jeremie VAUBAILLON
* Institut de Mecanique Celeste et de Calcul