[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) From Richard in Louisiana: "Strangelets" (strange quark nuggets) responsible for 2 mystery meteor explosions in the 1990s?

While I was browsing through archives of Corliss's _Science Frontiers_
at http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf146/index.htm
I came across this interesting title, in
_Science Frontiers_ (SF) No. 146: Mar-Apr 2003

<< Geophysics: The Possible Detection of two Quark Nuggets Piercing the
Earth >>

I did a Search on Google, since I don't subscribe to the online edition
of SF, and found this fascinating link:

http://www.telegraph.codot uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2002/05/12/wnugg12.
xml

to this news story:

<< Earth punctured by tiny cosmic missiles
By Robert Matthews, Science Correspondent
(Filed: 12/05/2002) >>

The article posits that "strangelets," alleged "clumps" of matter formed
in the Big Bang, having a mass 10 to 10^12 greater than lead, traveled
at 9 x 10^5 mph, through Antarctica, then through the Earth, "exiting
through the floor of the Indian Ocean off Sri Lanka just 26 seconds
later"; the 2nd explosion, the article states,

"took place on November 24, when sensors in Australia and Bolivia picked
up an explosion starting in the Pacific south of the Pitcairn Islands
and travelling through Earth to appear in Antarctica 19 seconds later."

Could Strangelets explain the Tunguska event?

The article does not mention Tunguska...comments, anyone?

Richard Phelps in Lafayette, Louisiana