[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re:Question: Leonids 2003

Hi, Esko,

I don't know if you ever paid attention to the bolide peak in 1965.
Some radar observations indicated it was also rich in bright meteors
or fireballs. The mass distribution index may be as low as 1.5 (?).
While, i have never seen any information about the detailed source
of that event. Only Peter Jenniskens suggested that it was also caused
by so-called filament. As I understand, *filament* component was
on account of the liberation protection by the comet nucleus when both
the comet and the dust trail faced close encounters with big planets.

Jenniskens also estimated the total mass of filament, and concluded it's
10 to 100 times larger than the lost mass of the comet in a single return.
However, I'm still doubting something played important role above the
filament. I noted that every fireball event recently can be resovled and
explained simply by David Asher's method, i.e. numerical integration in
relative longer time scale. For instance, we observed a fairly spectacular
event of Leonids last year. This event was well confirmed by Japanese
radar observations. Trying numerical integration resulted a cross-section
of 18-rev. dust trail (ejected in 1400) encountered the earth at a precise
time with rE-rD=0.00002 AU=3000 km only. This is even smaller than
the radus of the earth. On the other hand, the population index at that time
was also much lower than the latter part of filament between the two
peaks. Unfortunately, as our poor observational conditions, the determined
value by us was not very responsible, although five different observers
made observations independently. Our result was the minimum r = 1.39
+/-0.08.

This is quite different from the the population index value several hours
later.
Between the European and American peaks, the value determined by IMO
was above 2.4.

BTW, There was an A&A paper by two people discussing the event in
1965 by radar technique, but I'm sorry for forgetting the authors. ;-<

Kind regards,
Huan