[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Singing the Lyrids

Tim wrote:

Could you explain a little more about your tried and true car radio signal technique?

    Sure, it's dead easy. Meteor observers here in Edmonton have done this on and off for a few years, and consistently since the 2001 Leonids. It's a natural complement to our Sky Scan Science Awareness Project (a not-for-profit initiative designed to bring radio meteor astronomy to the Grade 9 classroom). The idea is to tune the car's digital tuner to an over-the-horizon FM transmitter, turn up the volume sufficiently and leave windows/hatches open so that observers can hear the static from their observing stations. Occasionally there will be a burst of signal corresponding to a meteor.

    Omnidirectional car antennae are sufficient for this purpose, and surprisingly sensitive. For more on my personal experiences using this "live monitoring" technique during the 2002 Perseids and Leonids, please visit the following pages on our website.

http://members.shawdot ca/weskyscan/perseid_results.htm
http://members.shawdot ca/weskyscan/personal_observations.htm

    Much more on the basic technique of radio detection of meteors can be found elsewhere on the Sky Scan website. Anybody who cares to visit, feedback (preferably by private e-mail) is always welcome as we attempt to make our information as complete and accurate as possible.

    regards,

    Bruce McCurdy
    Sky Scan Science Awareness Project
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada