[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) O.T. Fall of a satellite

At 22:50 28/04/03, you wrote:
>This weekend at our star party on Oahu's north shore, we saw what appeared to be a breakup of space junk re-entry at 0700UT April 27. It passed from W to E and disintegrated into several pieces nearly overhead, bright red color, and around mag -2/-3.
>
>Any chance this thing fell down early?
Mike, what the italian newspaper forgot to say, was that this object cannot be seen
from latitudes further from the equator than about 9 degrees. In fact it has an orbital inclination
of only 4 degrees. Incidentally its still in orbit, see  Alan Pickup's decay page at
http://www.wingardot demon.codot uk/satevo/dkwatch/ for information on objects currently
approaching decay.

Tony Beresford