[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Persistent meteor trains

Jure,
  I agree with Bob L., this was NOT a stupid question.  My all-time winning
train was, of course, a Leonid, one from the 1998 fireball spectacle.  A
relatively modest -5 Leonid fireball left a train that lasted 23 minutes.
The train it left was more spectacular than the fireball in this case,
compared to some of the other sensational fireballs occuring that morning.
This train was one of my top memories from that event.  Beyond that, I
recall a couple of Perseid fireball trains lasting perhaps 8 to 10 minutes
each back in the eighties (the fireballs themseleves were in the -4 to -6
range).  I saw a -10 Geminid in 1980, but it left almost no train (as the
Geminids usually don't). A -12 sporadic in 1974 also left no significant
train, so the Leonids rule for me in the long lasting train category.

Regards to all and many long and bright Eta Aquarids, Paul