[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Persistent meteor trains

Here in Edmonton we viewed a nacrous cloud created by the Yukon meteor on
Jan 18 2000. The cloud was seen about 10 hours after the meteor came in.
 The central condencation of this cloud was a similar shape to that in the
original photograph of the train.
Here is the e-mail I recieved alerting me to the cloud.
============
Mike Hoskinson wrote at about 9 p.m. on Jan 18, 2000.

Driving out of the parking lot at the hospital tonight, at about 17:40 MST,
noticed a bright webwork of interwoven
strands of cloud in the south-west just near the horizon. There were some
(more or less) foreground clouds that were
the usual dark gray of that time of the evening. Sunset was 16:53 and the
sun was about 7 degrees below the horizon,
according to Guide.  The sky was a deep dark blue, a little brighter towards
the horizon.

The band was about 15 degrees across, and within 5 degrees or so of the
horizon.  Incredibly bright, considering the lateness of the hour, a silvery
radiance that far outshone the dying sky light and there was not even a hint
of red in the colour, such as you would expect from high clouds lit by the
setting sun.
Not sure if this would rate as a persistent train
Larry Wood
W113.565   N53.558