[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Persistent meteor trains

Michel: wow, that was some grazer! How long did it fly? If it was -8 just
skimming the upper layers of atmosphere, how bright would it have been had it
entered at a steeper angle?! Also, 30 minutes is a very long train duration for
a -8, did it endure that long because of some effect of less dense air that
high or was it just plain luck? Anyone any ideas?

Kim: jaded? not yet. I still expect a lot from this year's Leonids ;> But you
have to admit, the Perseids don't seem all that hot anymore. But I agree with
you, once we get settled back into the usual 'no outbursts' routine, the
Perseids will do just fine. I think we have been spoiled during the last
decade: first the Perseid outbursts, then Leonids and also a June Bootid and a
Draconid outburst.

Larry: huh, if that qualifies as a persistent train, you really beat us all!
But that was probably a dust train, as it was lit by the Sun and that's why it
was visible. Or was it visible even after twilight ended?

Shy: most interesting fragmenting meteor? Definitely the -12 Taurid fireball
during the last year's Leonid peak night. It exploded with a bright flash,
turning blue-green and then produced a shower of orange fragments. Also, back
in 1996 a -10 sporadic that fragmented three times in its flight. It also
produced a sonic boom, 4 minutes after the fireball. Other than that, every
couple of nights I usually see a slow sporadic between 0 and +2 magnitude,
trailing sparks.

Clear skies!
Jure

http://www.emaildot si/