[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Persistent meteor trains

> Star photographic greetings!
> Beautiful images, congratulations!!!
> I am here dribbling;)
> Does it exist some logical explanation so that the best, larger and more
> brilliant meteors always enter in the atmosphere of Northern Hemisphere?
> :)))
> I already saw some few very brilliant meteors crossing good part of the sky
> and to in zig zag, but I didn't still see a meteor that left persistent
> trail for a long time. I think that when I have that luck, I will probably
> be of open mouth and so amazed that I will forget to count the time of
> duration of the event:)))
> Celestial hugs and hundreds of brilliant and persistent meteors for
> everybody!
>
> R.Gregio
> Brazil - Lat.21.27.54S Long.47.00.21W

We do occasionally get some spectacular meteors with persistent trains here
in the southern hemisphere (of course they're usually leonids!). Here is a
link to a photo one of our group ,Stewart Leffanue , obtained on the morning
of 17th local time (16th UT) Nov 1998 of a Leonid meteor and its 15 minute
train.

<http://www.southern-x.org/gallery-leonid98.html>

Stewarts photo was taken looking directly north (you can see the bright
stars castor and pollux above and to the left, and the beehive is a bright
smudge at about nearly 2 o'clock of the meteor. (this was our first attempt
at meteor photography)

I have always wondered if it is the same meteor and train as one taken by
the Astronomical Society of Victoria Meteor Section - particularly Image 4
taken by Caroline Van Dissel- one among quite a few very nice shots of
persistent trains the society took on this occasion!

 which you can see here -  <http://www.geocities.com/vodickar/Images1.htm>

The A.S.V.M.S were watching/photographing from Woomera in South Australia,
roughly 500 kilometres N/N/W of our location.
We were situated near the town of Mt. Pleasant in South Australia. ( I am
presuming the photos on the A.S.V.M.S homepage of the '98 Leonids are from
the 16th UT, as they unfortunately dont give the date, but its a dead ringer
- so i am guessing!)

 I read in a previous post these type of meteors usually occur at around
90 km's above the Earths surface - so would it be possible to see the same
meteor - but so differently?

Regards
Kearn Jones
35 South 138 East
<http://www.southern-x.org/>

P.S. We also saw a 10 - 15 minute persistent train from an around  - 9
leonid in the 2001 storm, almost directly overhead (it lit up the ground!),
that snaked beautifully in the high winds.
They would be the two best long lasting trains we've seen ever.