From: "Jure Atanackov" <jureatanackov@emaildot si>
To: <meteorobs@atmob.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2003 4:05 AM
Subject: (meteorobs) Meteor observation May 4: what ETAs?

Hi!

  After a long pause, I was finally under the stars again. A cold front
passed
in the afternoon, bringing strong winds and clearing up the atmosphere.
Transparency was superb and I decided to observe Eta Aquarid activity in the
morning. I got up just past two in the morning and twenty minutes later I
was
set up in my backyard. The sky was excellent: average LM6.4, which is almost
as
good as it gets from my backyard, the sky transparent right down to the
horizon. I could actually see the star SAO 30593 in Draco's head, which is
mv=6.61 most of the time. Scorpio is hugging the horizon from this latitude
and
the lower stars are frequently washed out by haze. But this morning the
entire
constellation was just screaming for attention. Milky way was very nice.
  I started at 2:20LT (00:20UT), some 15 minutes before ETA radiant rise,
facing northeast towards Cygnus. A major -7 Iridium flare lit up the
southeast
at 2:41:16 LT. Contrary to my expectations, the activity from ETAs was low.
No,
it was nonexistent. The first hour passed with no ETAs. There was a nice
slow
+1.5 orange SAG at 2:45 in UMi, trailing a short red wake and sparks. The
first
hour produced 11 meteors, which is quite good. I hoped for more ETA activity
during the second hour, but *none* appeared. Hey, it's May 4th, two days
until
maximum?! 11 meteors appeared during the second hour. None really
noteworthy.
  I spotted some unusual activity from a radiant at 19h15m, +43°31', with
four
definite swift members and three more possible members (I didn't see them
well
enough). The Eta Lyrids?

The summary:
Period LM F teff SAG ETA Spor
00:20-01:20UT 6.39 1.15 0.96 1 0 10
01:20-02:10UT 6.37 1.15 0.80 0 0 12

Magnitude distribution:
SAG: +1(0.5) +2(0.5)
Spor: +1(0.5) +2(5.5) +3(5) +4(3.5) +5(7) +6(0.5)

Average magnitude of the sporadics was +3.57.

Clear skies!
Jure A.

http://www.emaildot si/