[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) OT Fwd: First object in space

Title: Re: (meteorobs) OT Fwd: First object in space

----- Original Message -----
From: Terry Richardson
To: meteorobs@atmob.org
Cc: Brian.Noe@vandenberg.af.mil
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: (meteorobs) OT Fwd: First object in space

For those who might be interested i remember the following item which I read as a kid in Sky and Telescope:

On October 16, 1957 the USAF successfully launched pellets at a speed faster than 15 km/sec (some 3.5 km/sec faster than the velocity necessary to escape from the earth) with an Aerobee rocket. The nose section of the rocket ascended to a height of 87 km where shaped charges blasted the pellets into space. It is claimed that the Superschmidt Telescope at Sacremento Peak photographed the trajectory with a rotating shutter. These little metal pellets would therefore be the first objects to be shot into interplanetary space, months before the first launch to escape velocity (Luna 1, January 1959).

Clear skies,

TRR
--
Terry Richardson

843 937-1048 pager #
843 953-8071 phone
843 953-4824 fax
http://www.cofcdot edu/~richardt/

First Class Mail:

Terry Richardson
Department of Physics and Astronomy
College of Charleston
Charleston, SC 29424

Packages:
Terry Richardson
Physics Dept., College of Charleston
58 Coming Street, Room 101
Charleston, SC 29401

Office Location: Science Center Room 102

To all,

Of course that it is not the case. However, I remember when I was a young boy, it was around 60's, I read on a news magazine about a very interesting subject which by the date and by my age at that moment it is hard for me to supply you with appropriated bibliography. So, I sustain here just my memories understanding that you (once interested) will get the sources as well as the name of the researcher involved. Is this: the first MAN, not a man-made rocket that ever flew over *high altitudes* was an American. For this, the researches were for obtain data on how a man would support himself in outter space. It was in the beginning of man space running so it had served alright for its purposes. The project was to provide data in order to obtain revelevant subjects on how a human being would face high altitudes among many. So, the project contemplated the following: After being out in a balloonn, the researcher would have to jump out in a free space. The altitude and the name of the pilot I do not remember either. My apologies. Nice results!Marco Valois. Clear skies

Follow-Ups: References: