[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) definition

Hello you all,

In order to write an "official" document, I am looking for the IAU
definition of a meteoroid.
Of course, everybody knows what it is, but I wish to find the exact text.

Does anyone know any reference and/or the definition ?

I have already found :

The current IAU definition of the terms "meteoroid" and "asteroid" did
not anticipate the stage being reached whereby objects as small as 10
metres might be detected in space, leading Beech and Steel (1995) to
argue for the term "meteoroid" being defined as a solid object in space
between 100 microns and 10 metres in size; smaller particles are "dust",
whilst larger refractory (non-cometary) objects are "asteroids."

Thanks a lot !

Jeremie

--
* Jeremie VAUBAILLON
* Institut de Mecanique Celeste et de Calcul