From: owner-meteorobs@atmob.org [mailto:owner-meteorobs@atmob.org]On Behalf Of Michel Vandeputte
Sent: Thursday, 1 May 2003 7:36 AM
To: meteorobs@atmob.org
Subject: (meteorobs) Persistent meteor trains

Hi!

>  I was just wondering (it's a stupid question really, but what the
heck...):
>how long did your longest persistent meteor train ever last and what meteor
>produced it. Subquestion: if it wasn't a Leonid, repeat the upper question
for
>a Leonid.

Hi,

Well, for me ; that was definitely the famous -8  Leonid earth grazer. This monster appeared  over eastern China at  16.03 UT (nov18)  in the beginning of the famous and historic Leonid meteor storm in 2001. Its trail was visible over 20 degrees in Canis Major with the naked eye for +- 30 minutes !

I will never forget that sight ! Gorgeous !

You can see some pictures from this monster earth grazer at the following url :

http://delpsurf.www.cistrondot nl/leo2001/photo6.htm

http://delpsurf.www.cistrondot nl/leo2001/photo3.htm ( its amazing glowing golden trail).

Made by Robert Haas during the Sino Dutch Leonid Expedition.

Long trains,

Michel Vandeputte

Dutch Meteor Society

VVS Belgium meteor section