[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: [IMO-News] radio limiting magnitude ?

[NOTE: Cis is not a current 'meteorobs' reader. If you follow up,
 please MANUALLY put 'cis.verbeeck@agfa.com' in your "Cc:"! -Lew]

Hi Jeremie,

There are forward scatter setups with a significantly higher limiting
magnitude than 5 or 7. Our Ramses radio meteor group had such
a setup about ten years ago. Although I don't know our exact
radio limiting magnitude, it was clearly a lot higher than 7, as we
observed about 400 meteors per hour on average. Also, when
observing a major meteor stream, we often got results that were quite
different from the visual results, indicating that the observations
were
significantly "polluted" by faint sporadic meteors, which are more
numerous than faint stream meteors.

Judging from the radio observation reports I see in WGN, most
forward scatter setups have limiting magnitudes around 5-7, as
you say. But some observers use setups that are built especially
for radio observing, and often they did their best to improve the
sensitivity of the system. For instance, our group used a re-built
TV tuner, which is a lot more sensitive than a regular radio.

Perhaps Martin Semegone can give more useful comments on this?

Cheers,
Cis Verbeeck