[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: radio limiting magnitude ?

 Hi Jeremie,

At 17:27 19/05/2003 +0100, Jeremie VAUBAILLON wrote:
>In an attempt to understand last "no pi-puppids", I am wandering what is
>the limiting magnitude of a radio instrument ?
>I mean, those instruments used by forward scattering technique.

If there was no increased activity, it was due to the absence of the
stream, bad geometry, but not the sensitivity of the technique.

>In a message,  Hiroshi Ogawa wrote me :
>"[...] Radio Observation is catching only bright meteors ( about 5mag < )."
>
>Can we say that ALL radio meteor station have this LM (+-1-2 mag ???)
>(note, I do not speack about radar stations)

Depends a lot of the setup of course, but the forward scatter LM can be
much fainter, corresponding to mag 7 for the very short durations.

Moreover, radio counts do not suffer from the same imperfection of the eye:
the true counts in function of the magnitude increase exponentially for a
far greater range (say up to magn 5) before tapering off.

	Regards,

	 Chris