[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

IRC "#meteorobs" channel (was Re: (meteorobs) Question on IRC chat)

Kim, I just recently revived the channel on DALnet: I was
not aware people had been unable to connect, though... (I
myself often have to let it retry 5 to 10 times - but it
always seems to connect within 3 or 4 minutes for m.) If
this is still an issue, we could certainly try moving the
chats elsewhere: email me privately if you have problems!

Anyway, it is possible to "register" yoursel on DALnet, and
then to also register channels by name: then you basically
"own" a channel. After that, you are protected if hackers
try to "pirate" the channel, and you can kick people off
the channel permanently if they become too stroppy.

The problem is that DALnet "expires" a registration after a
certain number of days: I wasn't getting on our "#meteorobs"
chat channel often enough to keep it registered. And no one
else seemed interested in taking over "co-ownership" of it
with me... Anyway, I will try to keep the new registration
current, as long as there is interest on the channel!

To give the channel a try, download "IRC" software (there
is quite a bit out there nowadays, but 'mIRC' is still the
favorite for Windows: http://www.mirc.com ). Then connect
to the IRC server "irc.daldot net", and choose a nickname for
yourself... (Something meteor-related is appreciated, e.g.,
"/nick ILoveMeteorObserving"!) As soon as you pick a nick,
connect to the #meteorobs channel: /join #meteorobs

If enough people drop by, it may be worth reviving our old
twice-weekly scheduled chat sessions!

Take care,
Lew

Follow-Ups: References: