[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) West Nile virus and meteor observing

To all,

This topic is not directly on meteors buts affects
everyone who is out observing so I hope you will have
patience with me. A recent study of symptomless
carriers of the West Nile virus (those that have been
infected but never developed any symptoms of the
disease) published in the American Mosquito Control
Association Journal found that some of these people
are developing chronic problems with the virus. After
nine months polio like symptoms and/or destruction of
cortical material in the brain was found to occur. It
is calculated that for every person who comes down
with West Nile Fever there are 150 who are infected
but have no symptoms and don't know the virus is in
them. This could become a bigger problem than the
disease itself.
I am posting this to let meteor observers know about
this new risk and take measures to put barriers of one
sort or another between them and biting mosquitos so
that they don't develop this chronic condition.

Robin Gray