[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Northsea daylight fireball on May 31

Hi all,

I received two reports on a daylight fireball observed from the Netherlands
in
the evening of May 31, about one hour before sunset.

Observation 1 is from Mr. Eijgensteijn from The Hague. He saw the fireball
while playing badminton. He notes a duration of 3-4 seconds after which it
disappeared behind trees and notes that it was very bright (although it was
still daylight!). It had a short tail, the head of the fireball was
"cone-shaped" with a bright white color. He estimated an apparent fall angle
of about 60 degrees or steeper, going from a sky altitude of about 60
degrees to about 45 degrees in azimuth 170 (south).

The second obs. is from mr. Thomas, who was with his sailingyacht on the
North Sea, 10 km offshore of IJmuiden harbor. He describes it with some
interesting details as:

"Five white/light blue stripes (close together), with a number of
yellow/orange/red balls at the end. The stripe/flash appeared slightly
oblique, fastly towards the water and disappeared some tens of meters above
the water surface"

Dr. Laslo Evers informed me that there is an infrasound detection of this
fireball, indicating it occurred over the North Sea. See his website:
 www.knmidot nl/~evers

The The Hague observation appears to be in the wrong direction compared to
the infrasound position.

Later that same night, around 2:30-3:00 GMT, another bright meteor has been
reported by several chance observers. This too appears to have been a
several seconds event.

- Marco Langbroek
  Dutch Meteor Society

Drs Marco Langbroek

marco.langbroek@wanadoodot nl
meteorites@dmsweb.org
http://home.wanadoodot nl/marco.langbroek

"What seest thou else
 In the dark backward and abysm of time?"

                            William Shakespeare
                            The Tempest act I scene 2